NBMG Earth Science Week Field Trip 2016:
A River Runs Through It—
Geology Along the Truckee River Valley from Reno to Pyramid Lake
We hope you can join us as we explore the area along the Truckee River east of Reno and in the Virginia Mountains south of Pyramid Lake!
Click here for Field Trip flyer (top photo by Corina Forson):
Click here for the Field Trip guidebook:
Major stops on the field trip will include the following:
- A “young” one-million-year-old lava that flowed into the Truckee River Canyon
- Paleo–Lake Lahontan sediments from glacial times
- Several major earthquake faults
- Tufa mounds
- Fossil locality with 15-million-year-old leaf imprints (Happy National Fossil Day, yesterday October 12!)
You must sign up online prior to the trip and sign a waiver form. Please print out a paper copy, sign and date, and submit prior to the field trip or bring to the field trip starting point.
NBMG coordinates annual geology field trips for the public during Earth Science Week. These field trips are fun, educational, family oriented, and always free. NBMG has been an active participant in Earth Science Week since it began in 1998.
NBMG’s Jack Hursh will be part of a photography round table discussion this Thursday. Jack is working with UNR Special Collections on archiving his barn photography.
“A round table discussion featuring photographers Peter Goin, Jack Hursh, Steve Davis, and moderator and panelist Stephanie Gibson, writer and arts administrator from Ottawa, Canada.”
Date: February 12, 2015 at 7:00 p.m.
Location: Mathewson-IGT Knowledge Center, Wells Fargo Auditorium, Room 124
University of Nevada
Nevada Mineral Exploration Coalition, Second Annual Great Basin Rendezvous
September 26 – 28, 2014
“Come join your fellow geologists and their families to Camp Lamoille in the beautiful Ruby Mountains of Elko County.”
Saturday (September 27) activities include the following:
- Dr. Chris Henry, NBMG – field trip of your choice: Tertiary lacustrine Elko Formation and its contribution to oil in Nevada–or–Ruby Mountains metamorphic core complex – How it got there and what it has to do with gold
- Dr. Mike McFarlane – Pleistocene glacial geology of the Ruby Mountains
Please click here for information:
Can’t remember where and when that talk is that you wanted to attend?
We have reactivated the Google events calendar that you can find on the right side of the NBMG home page.
We also posted a list of current events so this will keep us all updated and organized.
Upcoming Talks and Other Events: